[AccessD] Problem of a listbox's response on network... Part 1

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 26 13:38:29 CST 2014

Hi Mark:

Pass through queries can do a lot without re-coding. Deleting, adding and updating a single record can be handled just fine but when you start doing select statements, searches, multi-record processing and complex queries that is when the DAO application starts grinding to a stop.

Once you have built a ADO based or mixed application, building another one is fairly easy as from then on it is mostly cut, paste and adjust...each new application becomes easier than the one before. :-)

I think MS Access has one of the easiest interfaces of any database tool....ADO just allows it to connect to virtually any data source. Coding in VB, C# or ASP.Net and so on, can take weeks to do what can be done days and if you are going this route might as well build a JavaScript frame-work web interface.

Aside: DDN is a great package but the over-head is huge. Put 100 users on a single application, you had better have your server fully deck-out and if anything fails...took me two weeks to solve one small issue as there are so many levels and so little internal documentation.

Jim