[AccessD] Question of Approach

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 29 14:41:16 CST 2014

Off the cuff response:
Middle initials - plural allowed
And - what if there are 2 clients on the same day with the same name and initial
Include a sequentially system generated number as primary key for the person -
allows the generated text id to be changed if needed.
When coding I prefer to keep the system structure separate from the data the
user manages and manipulates -  allows for safer maintenance work.
But do keep the txt id in the subordinate entries too.

Yes current date less DOB should give the age, and thus indicate the form to be
presented for completion.
- Yes the system was not accessible for a week during the last month, so I am
now entering the details I wrote down  when interviewing the clients.
Better to have an option for the age to be entered - especially as some people
may not know the DOB.
You have a DOB and an Age then check they match and if not , then allow the
entered age to be used. Store that as an optional entry on the answers table if
it does not match the DOB on the ID table.

And - perhaps a major consideration, is data volume a real concern for searching
and backup - would it not be simpler to have a single table for the answers to
the questions and present the appropriate form for entry - with a
'maintenance/searching' form allowing all fields to be viewed/entered/changed.

In design always allow for the user to not have the needed data, intelligence,
aptitude, concern, or sobriety appropriate to the use of the system.

Remember a major problem with the government CSA database is that it required
data to be entered that the data entry clerk did not always have, so they just
made it up to get to the point where they could type in what they wanted to
enter as meeting/documentation records.

Sort of like asking BT to install a phone for a new company -
They want the requester to supply a phone number to be put into the records as
the contact number
They also want the company to submit several years company accounts to show that
the company is creditworthy!

JimB