[AccessD] SQL server learning

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 05:48:52 CDT 2014

Thank you Darryl,  Arthur and others. Including a response below from Alan
which he could not get the List to accept.

Bill:

> Strictly from a learning and training standpoint, you might consider
buying Joel Murach's "SQL Server 2012 for Developer's" book.

>     http://www.murach.com/books/sq12/
>
> I purchased "Murach's SQL Server 2008 for Developers" several years ago,
downloaded and installed SQL Server Express (2008 edition), along with a
free custom training database.  (Download instructions for all of this
software is included with the book.  The 2012 edition is an update of the
2008 edition.)  I spent quite a bit of time working my way through the
chapters.  I went from doing simple queries right into writing and
executing fairly sophisticated SQL.  (One type of SQL query I remember
which was pretty interesting was a self join query - where you actually
join a table to itself.  Believe it or not, useful information can be
derived from a self join that you can't get any other way.  The self join
example in the book was very illuminating.)  Information you can extract
from the more sophisticated joins will make you look like a true SQL guru -
once you actually understand how to write them.

> I've forgotten most of what I learned, (because I'm no longer doing
database work), but I was impressed with all you can do with SQL once you
learn the nuts and bolts.  Also, if your goal is to learn SQL Server to the
point where you can take (and pass) the Microsoft SQL Server certification
exams, you'll find the Murach SQL Server book (and the included training
database) easier to digest than the AdventureWorks database.

> Drop by the software shelf at your local Barnes & Noble and peruse the
Murach book.  The book is expensive, but it's a good learning tool.