[AccessD] corrupt database - backup rather out-dated.

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 2 17:47:38 CDT 2014

Hi Gary:

In my formative years, I hacked many file formats but then there was no other way to recover from a serious data crash.

All I know is that you can delete certain index files if the MDB becomes corrupted using a Hex editor by just setting the header or link bytes...did this many years ago. It you created a blank database, added some forms, tables, keys and indexes, first scanned the file with the sector editor then deleted some objects and checked what happens. If you work through the MDB file it wouldn't be long before you start to recognize certain patterns. (Many years ago, I built my own hex/decimal editor, in VB, for just such a purpose and offered to anyone in the DBA list who was interested...I have since lost it...) An MDB file is good for that, as it never deletes anything, just links around deleted objects, until compressed. Everything is still in there...and I would bet there are just a couple files with their headers that are scrambled.

No, I am not volunteering as I know what a time-consuming drudge this could be...been there, done that and now it is time for the smart young guys. ;-) If someone is interested in taking up the torch, I will take a serious look for the editor but there are many free such editors that have just as many features and run more stable and faster.

Jim