[AccessD] dBASE

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 09:03:47 CDT 2014

David,

This is a dBASE IV app, right? It's been some years since I've used it so
my recollections are a tad vague. In your position my next move(s) would be
to get out of the app itself and work with dB directly. I forget whether
there's an import-from-CSV tool in there. For sure, you won't be able to
import from the Excel file since dB was written ages before Excel and won't
understand the format.

If you've found at least one record with wonky data, then I'd go into dB
(not your app) and delete the bad record(s). You could then try the report
again and see if it still errors out.

Just to be sure, it used to work fine until recently, and that may have to
do with data entered by the newbie? How recent is the last backup that can
be restored successfully? How much data has been added since then? Ensure
that the report runs without error on that backup. Then compare the record
counts of the two tables and see how much data is at stake.

I'd restore the last good backup in another directory to make comparisons
simpler. In the worst case, you could keep Excel open so you can look at
the new data, then add it row by row using the app, rather than directly.

I realize this is not much help, but it's all I've got. I don't even  know
whether I have dBASE disks around, and come to think of it, even if I did,
none of my computers have floppy drives. LOL. Ah, the distant past.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:16 PM, David McAfee <davidmcafee at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was able to pack and reindex (using the app's menu) and I still get the
> syntax error:
>
> http://davidmcafee.org/pics/dBASEerror.png
>
> I'm not sure if that Rec 2433/2759 at the bottom indicates the trouble row.
>
> I was able to export the two tables (Client and Services) to dbf files.
> I can open them in Excel and I do notice that row 2434 is different, in
> that it doesn't have a client name as well as most of the other fields in
> the row.
>
> I cleaned up the 4 or 5 similar rows and couldn't save as a dbf file.
> Not sure if I could save as a text and re-import, or maybe I should try
> looking for the troubled text in the DBF file via notepad.
>
> Not sure what to do next.
>

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:05 AM, Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Not to boast, but not only was I a dBASE expert back in the day, I was
> also
> > the first to publish an interview with C. Wayne Ratliff and Jeb Long.
> (But
> > like everyone else, I moved to Clipper as soon as it was released.)
> >
> > Exactly how far can you get? Can you open the table itself, aside from
> via
> > the app? It would be useful to know that much anyway. If you can, and
> > following up on Jim's suggestion, Go Bottom and have a look at the last
> few
> > records. Also, try packing the table, and if that works, then recreate
> the
> >

> > Arthur
> > ​

Arthur