[AccessD] And this just in...

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 22:30:07 CST 2014

I just finished a 1 year contract with IBM in RTP Raleigh Durham.  They used Lenovo laptops which
ran Windows 7.  They (IBM) were making big waves about moving to Linux but had not done so.  Their
employees worked firmly in the Microsoft office world, Word and Excel, Microsoft Access / SQL
Server.  There were a couple of thousand employees in the building I worked in, every machine in the
building ran Windows 7.  There were several thousand more in a big human warehouse in Portland
Oregon, every machine in the place ran Windows 7.

The reported demise of Windows is way overblown.

It is not a trivial task to move any complex business off the underlying tools onto a non-compatible
alternative, and if it requires extensive training or hand holding, even harder.

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it

On 3/1/2014 10:49 PM, Doug Steele wrote:
> I'm just throwing this out as an observation, but in my 20+ years of
> computing, I've never actually encountered a computer running Unix/Linux
> (other than during the one day course I took on it about 15 years ago :) ).
>
> The one (world class) research lab I know about uses Macs.
>
> The multinational company I've done Access dbs for is Microsoft all the way.
>
> The mining/engineering company I worked for went from IBM System 3 to
> Windows. The requirements they have for Excel processing and Autocad make
> Windows compulsory.  If you have Windows requirements like they do, going
> to Linux/Wine just makes one more expensive layer; the cost for support
> personnel is probably an order of magnitude higher than the savings on
> software.
>
> Your mileage obviously varies!
>
> Doug

---