[AccessD] Membership File Changes

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 07:59:31 CST 2014

Jim, so you have agreed that GUID1 cannot be compared to GUID2 to tease our
a record's ordinal position and you have said that auto number can get
confused and turn negative.  Might I say that the latter situation is a
database corruption issue, since if they turn trip 0 they take away the one
test I often use for "no record" and if they go higher after that they
could easily try to duplicate a record id. I think this adds a measure of
maintenance to a database and /or rules out Access as a relational database
of choice in high stakes operarions. I would not run my life by this
extremely unlikely principle.

As for AN being a local phenomenon, says who? If the Access database is a
backend systen, then then New Record is called, it will advance the value
in the main table. No long as the database is not replicated or being
maintained client-side, the connection can be dropped and the record used
until update is required or the next New Record. So that argument sounds
like a non starter or else equivalent to other things said in support of
GUID. No one yet has said how a GUID value can be shown to come before or
after another. I cannot think of a database project yet where I was not
concerned with sorting records in a recordset that included all records
posted on or before a certain record, or on or after a certain record, and
datetime is not a good predictor. I have seen that field
hand-entered/overridden after-the-fact. I need record Id for sequential
comparison of records, generally,  and I don't believe that is possible
with GUIS and is always (ok, *almost always*) doable with an Auto number
fields.

And don't forget in client server databases, the sequence is often handles
by a stored operation that runs while the database is running, called, I
think, a Sequence and a new record Id gets popped every time the stored
function is called and it always keeps track where it is regardless of the
number of users.

And for Peterson ' s sake, the name is Bill, NOT BENSON!! What is this,
High School??