[AccessD] apocalypse someday...

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 22:18:17 CST 2014

Yes, but the laptop is the new desktop.  I just finished a year gig at IBM and they have a thousand
desks, every one of which has a laptop... hooked to TWO monitors, keyboard and mouse.

I no longer buy "desktop" machines either, I have used only laptops since the 2005 timeframe, but
these are still NOT a "pad" or a smart phone.  They are Intel / AMD multi-core with (nowadays) 8
gigs of ram and video graphics chips waaaaaaaay more powerful than the typical notepad.  And running
Windows of course.

My current laptop is a quad core i7 with 8 gigs RAM, capable of using 16 gigs, a very capable intel
integrated graphics engine, and 500gb of SSD.  This notebook has a dozen times the compute and 4
times the RAM of the SERVERS that I was building in 2004.  There is not a pad in the world today
that can touch that machine, not even close.  In five years?

Pads keep getting more powerful, but they are constrained by their form factor with regards to how
much heat they can emit.  Even a laptop has fans cooling the interior.

As has been noted elsewhere, most notebooks are plenty powerful and don't need more power, with the
possible exception of video horsepower.  Notepads are increasing in (compute) power every year.  At
some point they will reach the point where they can replace the current notebooks, but they then
need to decide how to attack the IO that the notebook provides.

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it

On 3/7/2014 10:53 PM, Kathryn Bassett wrote:
> John said:
>> But at the same time, businesses often need precisely a big(ger) honking
>> desktop to get work done.
>> These work stations may in fact some day be replaced by a very capable
>> notepad IF the notepad can provide connections to at LEAST one and
>> preferably two monitors, keyboard and mouse
> Then there is me. It's been I-don't-know-how-long, but probably pretty close
> to 20 years since I used a desktop (got 2nd laptop in 1999). I just use my
> laptop *like* a desktop - external mouse, keyboard, monitor, multiple usb
> hubs, etc. The only difference now is that with my most recent laptop, I had
> to buy a docking station in order to run my existing external monitor since
> it needed pin vs the new style connection.
>
> --
> Kathryn Rhinehart Bassett (Pasadena CA)
> "Genealogy is my bag" "GH is my soap"
> kathryn at bassett.net