[AccessD] apocalypse someday...

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 00:33:03 CST 2014

I use a DELL laptop with port replicator and dual monitors, external
kb/trackball... and this in general gives me all the look and feel and
performance of a desktop machine. However we developers need to build for
lesser performing client (customer) systems anyway, so that if a solution
is fast for us, we know it will be at least almost-fast for our customer,
and not the other way around. That said, there are some reasons to use a
desktop machine, and that is durability... If you are like me, you may have
lost a laptop HD a time or two. Having a desktop running dual drives with
RAID 3 would have been nice at such times. Also, the faster spin and huge
capacities of desktop HDDs is a plus, as are the plethora of ports and
(generally) better ports. Laptops are, due to form factor and nature,
skimpy on ports.

If I knew of a simple way to keep dual systems in synch in terms of
programs and OS and data, there is no way I would use a laptop as a home
system, I would use it only when moving around the house to "run" my
desktop remotely, if for no other reason than data protection. But the time
cost of keeping everything I want in two places is prohibitive, and I live
with the risk of data shock with everything on one system (laptop). I
compensate by regular full system backups, but if my laptop becomes
obsolete, that multi-partition backup probably will not be able to get
recovered to a new one. Happened just last year, my E6510 could not be
recovered to a E6530... although I have heard that with the 2014 edition of
Acronis True Image one can recover from one hardware configuration to
another. I have my doubts.