[AccessD] apocalypse someday...

Tony Septav TSeptav at Uniserve.com
Sun Mar 9 18:07:46 CDT 2014

Hey All
Who cares. This is the biggest ditz I have ever seen.

Tony Septav
Nanaimo, BC
Canada

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of John W Colby
Sent: March-09-14 5:40 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] apocalypse someday...

 >>An aside but a worthy note: Was at a friends place the yesterday and his
recommendation is to
never use a SSD in a RAID...all SSD or none...there is nothing like learning
the hard way.

LOL, I have a 1 terabyte raid 5 array with hot backup.  It is not for speed
but for redundancy.
That said, striping the data across 5 drives ups the transfer speed
immensely.

Of course the array is hosted on a dedicated raid card, NOT on the built-in
SATA ports.  I was able
to get (7) 200gb SSDs and form the raid array for under $2000 including the
cost of the card.

It is for my large databases on my SQL Server and it absolutely smokes
Since I have 90GB of RAM dedicated to the SQL Server, being able to load RAM
quickly becomes an
issue.  With a RAID array and a dedicated controller I get over 1 gb / sec
load speeds off of two
year old technology drives (SATA3).

I will be replacing those in the next few months with new Samsung EVO drives
and probably doubling
that speed.  Loading large database containers into SSDs is one area where
the benefit pays for
itself quickly.

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it

<accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
> Sent: Sunday, March 9, 2014 11:08:25 AM
> Subject: Re: [AccessD] apocalypse someday...
>
> Along the lines of SSD upgrade...I am considering upgrading my DELL E6530
> HDD to a SSD.
>
> I think with DELLs I can rely on the CD ROM Bay accepting a 2nd hard drive
> caddy - for between $30-$50. I don't know the speed it is capable of, but
it
> would give me a place have the two drives in the laptop at the same time,
> and I rarely use the CD/DVD.
>
> If I were to migrate my current drive which is 750GB but using < 300GB to
> 500GB Crucial SSD, would I have problems?
>
> Does anyone know whether using the installed Acronis software's Clone
> function (while Win 7 is running) will be a safe way to get the new drive
> operational?
>
> Will the result be optimized for that new drive, or will I have wished I
had
> done a clear install and put all my programs on again (sigh...)
>
> Another alternative is to "Recover" a TIB stored either on the older HDD,
or
> on Buffalo Linkstation, to the new drive. This could be done (1) using
> bootable Acronis media, if the new drive is put into the HDD bay, or (2)
> using Acronis software with the old drive still in the HDD bay and the new
> drive in the CD ROM bay, or vice versa... OR SO I THINK.
>
> Last, if any of those approaches work, I should be able to then put the
old
> HDD in modular bay, in a caddy, and put the new SSD in the DELL HDD port,
at
> which point I probably need to buy an adaptor so it fits in there with the
> right form factor.
>
> I am assuming that DELL treats whatever is in the HDD bay as primary, and
> anything in the modular bay as secondary, but I hardly know.
>
> So to rack 'em up, need to purchase:
>            2.5" SSD
>            2.5" internal caddy for DELL HDD
>            9" modular bay HDD caddy for 2.5" drives

---
protection is active.

-----
No virus found in this message.