[AccessD] Smokin deal on SSD

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 12:05:32 CDT 2014

See what you've started, now gonna get flamed cuz this is so none
programming and for sure non-DB.

> Colby" <jwcolby at gmail.com> wrote:
> the controller itself will move that static data around to allow other
dynamic data to "use" the areas not yet written...

So is controller performing a

Read(old position info, old data)/re-write(old data, new position
info)/write (new data and new position info)
?

Versus

a read (position info)/write (data and position info)

Isn't that an efficiency give-back?

Do spin up drives do this too?

I wonder how fast SSDS would be if they did not do this or were hardened to
handle more writes.

I also don't tend to do a lot of writes to HD, unlike storage drive. Now I
am worried about the longevity of my NAS.

I realize it is "not so simple" but how the heck, with all a PC has going
on, can it be practical to optimize something like this? And to get it
right (er, write?) In terms of how many disk atoms have been written to an
"even" number of times.

I've read about drives ad nauseum but I am neither a mechanical not an
electrical engineer nor nanotechnology savvy. The stuff doesn't come to me
readily and state of the art doesn't stay still, for long enough... and
lack of uptake capability (gray matter).

So I may not be worth your time replying -- and if you don't, I guess we
both know why.