[AccessD] Smokin deal on SSD

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 14:56:17 CDT 2014

My understanding is that the background 'move' is on the better SSD'd, not all
of them.

Good SSD's also have a substantially larger amount of memory than is specified
as the drive size, so that there are 'spare blocks' to use in place of failing
blocks.
Almost all modern SSD's include as part of their management of the deletion of
data, an option to change the mapping of physical memory onto the 'drive
storage' map so continually cycling wear through blocks.
However such changing the mapping of the drive which makes recovery of deleted
files a problem.

And other than the pagefile, the part of the 'drive storage' that is liable to
get the most changes - incurring erase and rewrite is that used for the MFT.
So if you have not got the background move, the data you are most likely to lose
will be the MFT which, luckily, the windows OS manages with recoverability
built-in to it's handling.

And while, certainly within XP,  the 'do not verify' option does not apply to
MFT on normal rotating, USB connected hard drives, I have not found any details
as to the effect of 'turning off verify' on SSD's or later Windows OS's.

JimB