[AccessD] Odd Attachment field types in query

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 1 09:57:20 CDT 2014

Stuart,

Thanks.

JimB

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2014 10:04 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Odd Attachment field types in query

No, the "attachment" field is actually three hidden fields: 1. the file  itself(
word doc, jpg
image, pdf file etc). 2. The file name, 3. The file extension.

When you "open an attachment", Access extracts the BLOB to a file stored in your
IE cache
folder (Something like C:\Users\Stuart\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temorary
Internet
Files/ACCxxxxx\myfile.jpg) and then opens it with the default program configured
on your PC
for that type of file.

So you just need any software that can handle files of the specific type.  If
you don't have a
default for the extension, you just get the standard  "WIndows can't open this
file.... What do
you want to do...."  dialog.

The file and folder are deleted once you close the application viewing the
attachment - unless
you save the file within the application, in which case the folder and file
remain.

Note that even if you have Explorer set to show Hidden and System files, you
can't see the
folder ACCxxxx in Explorer. You can however get to it by  typing in the full
path.   So unless
you know exactly where it is  - you will have great difficulty  finding it
again.   Like I've said
before - it's messy.

 --
Stuart