[AccessD] Ten most common tasks/problems in Access

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 07:25:02 CDT 2014

An increasingly needful but unhappy task is finding a way to make use of
older databases with good integrity under the configuration they had in
Ac2003, and making them openable, less so working, in Ac2013.

Another task is forcing the columnwidth of list box and combo box columns
to match the contents they are required to display. Sometimes in Access it
is easier to just plus or minus it, because the controls I use on an excel
user for do not behave in a manner conducive to this excercise, in MS
Access.

Another often neglected task whichbshould be done always, is to insure
updates for permanent entity and transaction tables get logging,  at a
minimum updates to the LastUpdatedBy and LastUpdated fields.

Another task us deciding how much data to keep in history versus current
transaction tables, and of course splitting front and back ends, which you
might have already covered.

Putting relationships on is a good thing to do as its own task, and what I
like to do afterwards is bring the database into Visio2010 (last release
that had this feature) using reverse engineer function, to see that things
are set up as I expect they are, I find this helpful in labeling of PK and
FK elements. I do this mostly after adding the most important fields to
tables (not all characteristics) just to check all my Not Nulls, keys,
arrow directions. Not everyone works in this dual design environment, but I
find it helps me to have 2 perspectives and visio is a nice db documenting
interface.

Another task is making use of all the column width and hiding and ordering
potential within data sheet form columns / controls, and having devices
that let application remember user preferences. That goes for a lot of
things - remembering user preferences.