[AccessD] Presenting data problem

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Wed Oct 29 03:59:07 CDT 2014

<<Just the vaccination trackage should be a db of its own. :) >>

I developed a veterinarian package many years ago (I even went to the
national AAHA show one year) and it's not as difficult as one might think.
The biggest challenge I had was lab results, which for any given test, could
have any number of fields and values.

Based on that experience, my only comment would be to trend towards discrete
tables as much as possible in your design.  While the EAV design has its
uses, it has short comings as well.

Arthur's setup is a good in that your still using tables more or less, it's
just that you have multiple tables stored together and in doing that, save
yourself some work.  But really without much extra effort, you probably
could bust a lot of that out into separate tables.

I might also suggest that to cover the "loose ends", consider adding a
diary/comment system (ie. "Lab notes") with a keyword search on it.   It's
not typically something I like to do in a design because users start putting
everything and anything in there and it's all free-form, but sometimes it is
one way to get the job done.

Jim.