[AccessD] DoCmd.OpenModule for Access - Something similar for Excel ?

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Wed Sep 24 21:59:22 CDT 2014

Ok... But it depends on what you need Excel to do - and keep in mind that Excel is very versatile and flexible (it greatest strength and weakness) so the possible solutions are pretty much limitless.  Who's to say what is 'too big' or not?

Some gigs are simple and only need a bit of code, some are very complex and demanding and need a lot more heavy lifting from the VBE.

I find it also depends on how robust you need it to be.  Generally the more stable and reliable solutions have more code as I write in additional functionality which checks the integrity and self-repairs if necessary.  This can add a bit of overhead, but that is better than having something fail out in client land.

Anyway.  I am not going to get into a 'yours is better than mine' contest.  I appreciate your opinion and I was merely sharing my experience. Naturally your mileage will vary.

A lot of what is required is driven by the client.  As I said, some of them have simple needs and others much less so.

For example, the current solution I am working on in my 'day job' has 101 modules and a customised ribbon (XL2010 on W7).

It is complex yes, and it needs to be - it does a lot of work behind the scenes, however there are no stability issues caused by the number of modules.
Could it be done better? - for sure - for example, this workbook would benefit from using Classes more and arrays less - something I am working on updating as time permits.
However the code is very well written.  The gentleman who originally wrote this knew how to code elegantly and efficiently.