[AccessD] More hi-jinks

FW Salato Center Salato at ky.gov
Thu Dec 10 13:17:07 CST 2015

Just when I thought I had this thing mastered - I will never volunteer to write another simple database. ;)

I think you all know the main problem - the distinction between individuals and species tasks. With the medical/vaccine, I provided a second form for species and used a Recordset to update all animals of the same species when tested, vaccinated, and so on. The form displays a list of individuals in that species and the user can remove an individual. We can also update an individual within that species as necessary, and it often is. We have one bison cow that receives a lot of specialized care that the others don't need.

New complication - food. We've just started working on the food structure - the longer I chew, the bigger it grows. :(

Food for the individual animals is easy to track - amount in, amount removed from previous feeding. These animals are all fed as individuals.

We have several species that are fed as a group. There's no way to divvy up that feed by individual, so the medical/vaccine solution or specifying a vaccine or treatment and updating all of the animals in that species doesn't work. I can't update each individual because there's no way to track how much each individual ate on a given day, if any at all. The herd or flock is fed and I can track the herd, but there is no "herd" or "flock" entity for these species. They're all identified as individuals, because we need them ided that way. As I mentioned before, we have a bison cow that needs medical care that none of the others do (and she often does). They need individual status.

I'm seriously considering just throwing in an entity called "deer stock," "bison stock," "turkey stock" - and so on. Perhaps I need a second table of herd/flock types and then I can always use a UNION when I need to combine individuals and groups for some reason. That probably complicates date entry - but I'm using multiple data entry forms for individual/stock conflicts, so that's not really all that new.

I just have no idea where this is going to lead at the moment.

I should be home knitting and dividing flowers in my yard.

Susan H.