[AccessD] less than on text field

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Wed Dec 16 11:08:03 CST 2015

 I've looked back through the thread and I don't see where you say exactly
what the issue is.

 But as a comment, depending on VAL() to extract a numeric on a text field
can be problematic and depends on what's in the field as data.

  For example:  val("123 E 76th street")

  Will result in  1.23E+78

  The issue here is that if the result of the VAL() ends up as a number that
Access can't handle, you'll get all #Error's in the output.

  Your best bet when you need to do this is to loop through the field data
character by character building up the number to be converted, then convert
it.  That way you can impose limits/checks on the data rather than relying
on VAL()'s built-in logic.

Jim.