[AccessD] Conversion A97 to A2k

Heenan, Lambert Lambert.Heenan at aig.com
Thu Feb 5 12:35:28 CST 2015

The only problem I had switching Apps from Access 2003 to 2010 was to do with emailing using Outlook. I have a bunch of canned routines to handle all my  mailing needs, which all reduce to a few calls to a function which verifies the email addresses of the recipients, and then a final call to a 'SendMessage' routine.

Typically I create an Outlook object and then immediately create a Mail item...

	Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
	Set objOutlookMsg = objOutlook.CreateItem(olMailItem)

Then for each email address I call a routine to check the address before adding it to an Outlook.Recipient object.

When I converted to Office 2010 the verify email address code hit problems. The code just creates some temporary Outlook objects and used the .Resolve method to check if the email address looked good.  This always just works (from Access 97 onwards), but in A2010 if Outlook was NOT ALREADY RUNNING an error resulted.

Here's the code, with the problem line indicated...

Function bVerifyEmailAddress(CM_Email As String) As Boolean
' Verify if email address is valid
    Dim objOutlook As Outlook.Application
    Dim objOutlookMsg As Outlook.MailItem
    Dim objOutlookRecip As Outlook.Recipient

   On Error GoTo bVerifyEmailAddress_Error
    If Not IsBlank(CM_Email) Then
        ' Create the Outlook session.
        Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

        ' Create a message object

        Set objOutlookMsg = objOutlook.CreateItem(olMailItem)

        With objOutlookMsg
             ' Add the To recipient to the message.

	'++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
             Set objOutlookRecip = .Recipients.Add(CM_Email)
	'+++++++ above line causes an error 287++++++++++

            ' Resolve Recipient's name.
            For Each objOutlookRecip In .Recipients
                If Not objOutlookRecip.Resolve = True Then
                    objOutlookRecip.Delete
                    bVerifyEmailAddress = False
                Else
                    bVerifyEmailAddress = True
                End If
            Next
        End With
        Set objOutlookRecip = Nothing
        Set objOutlookMsg = Nothing
        Set objOutlook = Nothing
    Else
        bVerifyEmailAddress = False
    End If
bVerifyEmailAddress_Exit:
   On Error GoTo 0
   Exit Function

The solution was to trap error 287 and then launch Outlook. To do that I had to write a little routine to go find Outlook...

bVerifyEmailAddress_Error:
Dim strOlPath As String
    Select Case Err.Number
    Case 0 ' No Error
        DoEvents
    Case 287 ' Application-defined or object-defined error
    ' In Access 2007/2010 the call to .Recipients.Add generates this error if Outlook is not already running
    ' So here we will locate Outlook and then run it
    strOlPath = FindOutlook()
    If strOlPath > "" Then
        Shell strOlPath, vbMinimizedNoFocus
        Resume
    Else
        MsgBox "Error sending Email message. Please start Outlook then click the 'OK' button and we will try again.", vbOKOnly Or vbExclamation
        Resume
    End If

And this is how I locate Outlook...

Function FindOutlook() As String
    Dim strOlPath As String
    Dim strFile As String
    Dim strTemp As String
    Dim n As Long
    ' try the folder that Access is installed in first
    FindOutlook = ""    ' default
    strOlPath = SysCmd(acSysCmdAccessDir)
    strFile = Dir(strOlPath & "Outlook.exe")
    If strFile & "" > "" Then
        FindOutlook = strOlPath & strFile
    Else
        ' not found. Search the Program Files folder
        strTemp = Split(strOlPath, "\")(0) & "\" & Split(strOlPath, "\")(1)
        With Application.FileSearch
            .LookIn = strTemp
            .SearchSubFolders = True
            .fileName = "Outlook.exe"
            .Execute
            If .FoundFiles.count > 0 Then
                For n = 1 To .FoundFiles.count
                    If GetFileName(.FoundFiles(n)) = "Outlook.Exe" Then
                        ' got it.
                        FindOutlook = .FoundFiles(n)
                        Exit For
                    End If