[AccessD] OT Visual basic Express 2012 - ComboBox

Paul Hartland paul.hartland at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 12 09:41:29 CST 2015

Not quite, the combo box works perfect drops down the whole selection list,
if I select one I can show the ValueMember and DisplayMember and if I hard
code something like

 Me.cmbRequestCodes.SelectedValue = 4 then the combo box displays the
correct text 'Incorrect Description'

I have a data table called 'tblPIPRequests' built as below:

cmdPIPRequests.Connection = pADOPIPConn
cmdPIPRequests.CommandText = "phPIP_SelectSingleRequest"
cmdPIPRequests.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure

cmdPIPRequests.Parameters.AddWithValue("intRequestID", pLngPIPRequestID)

dapPIPRequests.SelectCommand = cmdPIPRequests

' Create an instance of a DataSet, and retrieve data from the Requests
table.
dapPIPRequests.FillSchema(datPIPRequests, SchemaType.Source, "PIPRequests")
dapPIPRequests.Fill(datPIPRequests, "PIPRequests")

tblPIPRequests = datPIPRequests.Tables("PIPRequests")

drCurrent = tblPIPRequests.Rows.Find(pLngPIPRequestID)

Now one of the fields that the data table brings back is RequestCode and I
need to assign this to the combo box to show the DisplayMember of the
corresponding RequestCode.  I have tried

Me.cmbRequestCodes.SelectedValue = drCurrent!RequestCode

Which works, but not sure if this is the correct way to do all this, as I
say I am only just learning VB.net/Express.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Also as you can see from the code where I create the data table
'tblPIPRequests' I use a stored procedure to bring back the results, the
form will allow the user to edit one or two of the fields via bound text
boxes, being bound like below:

Me.txtResolvedBy.DataBindings.Add("Text", tblPIPRequests, "ResolvedByName")

What I haven't been able to figure out is, once the user clicks the save
button on the form, how to update the data table 'tblPIPRequests' and the
SQL Datasource.  Do I have to change from using a stored procedure to a
basic select statment for the table ? (as I read somewhere that UPDATE,
INSERT & DELETE's would automatically be created !!!!!)

Thanks again in advance for any help on this.

Paul