[AccessD] Backend database corruption

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Sun Feb 22 10:51:49 CST 2015

John,
I'm not completely sure.  But, the difficulty occurred between boxes
running Win 98 and Win XP.  Perhaps it was really only the NICs that
were causing the problem.  But, the playhouse setup was that the
database resided on a Win XP machine and was being accessed by two other
boxes, one was Win 98, the other was Win XP.  This was not a split
database, the whole database resided on the director's desk.  The office
assistant and the children's theater director had to access the database
remotely over the network.  All had been working well, I am told (I did
not set this up, I inherited an existing setup).  All of a sudden, one
day, the database could not be opened.  Upon examination, I learned that
the database file was now a tiny fraction of what it had been. There
appeared to be no data resident.  Further investigation turned up
reports from others that Access databases across networks between boxes
with different OSs, were getting hosed. Then, there was that NIC that
periodically broke the connection to run a self-check.  Somebody else
will know much more than I about this.  We have now reached the limit of
my understanding of the situation.  :-)
TNF

Tina Norris Fields
tinanfields-at-torchlake-dot-com