[AccessD] How to Grab Report Subtotals and Push them to Excel

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Sat Jan 10 10:29:47 CST 2015

Brad,

  The trick with either OnFormat or OnPrint events in regards to multiple
firings is to check the FormatCount and PrintCount variables.

  The report engine lays out a page from top to bottom and sometimes based
on settings (like keep together), needs to retreat up the page and reformat
it.  When it does this, you will see the OnFormat and OnPrint fire multiple
times.

 So anytime you need to do anything with totaling, you need to do:

 If FormatCount = 1 then
    ' Do the totals or whatever else that needs to happen only once.
 End If

 Or as an alternative, you can add in OnFormat, then subtract in the
OnRetreat event.

 The other "gotcha" with the report engine is placing code in the OnPrint
event.  When you invoke two pass printing with .Pages, keep in mind that
OnPrint does not get fired on the first pass.   Many get caught by this in
trying to alter the layout or creating a table of contents or index in that
event, then not getting the results they expect.

Jim.