[AccessD] When troubleshooting a problem and you think you've entered everything correctly.......

Dennis Wilson dennis.wilson at maplemount.org
Mon Jan 19 09:01:10 CST 2015

I ran across this little quote from a developer.  His reply was in response to a guy saying "I've entered everything correctly yet it still doesn't work!"  His response is a good thing for all of us to keep in mind.

    No - that's what you THINK you have done. But SOMETHING must be different. This happens to all of us and the first step in becoming a successful debugger is to accept the reality "when the set of assumptions I know to be true leads to a contradiction then (at least) one of the things I know to be true isn't true".

    Stumped programmers used to bring their "impossible" problems to my desk all the time. The HARD part is breaking the mindset that blinds us to what is going on.