[AccessD] Challenge: A Test of Your Programming Chops ...

John R Bartow jbartow at winhaven.net
Sat Jan 24 12:21:31 CST 2015

Or DBA-Tech

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Gary Kjos
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2015 5:32 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Challenge: A Test of Your Programming Chops ...

My last comment was intended to justify the posting of this message on
AccessD list  AccessD is primarily a list about Microsoft Access
Developement and other topics related to Access somehow.  While you have
presented a fine challenge, it seems a bit off topic for the AccessD list.
Perhaps you should take it to the OT list?  This is the kind of thing that
is supposed to be done on that list.

GK

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 12:24 AM,  <aclawhon at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Gary:
>
> This problem is not meant to be solved in Access - or any other
> programming language for that matter.  (In fact, trying to do this in
> Access would probably be a bad idea.)  What I'm looking for is a
> step-by-step process that lays out the logic for the solution - in
> other words an algorithm.  (In the olden days of programming - like
> say twenty years ago - what I'm looking for might have been called
> pseudo-code.)  Whatever you call it, you're basically laying out the
> logic of the solution - before you write a single line of code to
> implement the solution.  (I hope this makes sense ...)
>
> Positive Alan of Huntsville
>

> Quoting Gary Kjos <garykjos at hotmail.com>:
>
>> Not sure what this has to do with Access. I suppose it could be done
>> with Access.
>>
>> But Alan wanted me to post it for him.
>>
>> Everyone should be sure to TRIM before sending their replies......
>>
>> Gary Kjos
>> garykjos at hotmail.com
>>
>>> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 14:55:24 -0600
>>> From: garykjos at gmail.com
>>> To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
>>> Subject: [AccessD] Challenge: A Test of Your Programming Chops ...
>>>
>>> Forwarding this message to the list for Alan Lawhon.....

>>> -------------------------- Caveat Emptor!!  Don't tackle this
>>> challenge unless you have some spare time ...  (If you have a very
>>> high IQ and/or great programming aptitude, this is your opportunity
>>> to shine.)
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------>
>>>
>>> If any of you have any questions or need clarification on any of
>>> this
>>> - especially questions concerning Omaha/8 rules - don't hesitate to
>>> post your questions.  I'll get to them ASAP.  If any of you produce
>>> a truly elegant (well thought out) solution that I cannot crack, I
>>> will be truly impressed.
>>>
>>> Time to shine.  Good luck!
>>>
>>> Alan C. Lawhon
>>>
>>> --