[AccessD] Ac2013 running out of resources

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 8 11:34:56 CDT 2015

I'm regularly getting an out of resources message with 2013.  Checking resources, I'm rarely over 80 megabytes memory usage when it strikes.  The fully decompiled and compacted FE sits at just over 97 megabytes these days.  The back end resides on SqlServer 2012 and we connect via ODBC.  I rarely encounter the error during code execution and our error logging shows this rarely happens to users.  Curiously, it sometimes happens when a single record log table of 3 columns gets updated with a simple execute statement.  In my case, it usually bites me when I have a few forms open and then open a table.

I haven't been able to pin down the cause, but it is my belief that it may have to do with having a large number of connections to SQL Server open.  If I have a particular form open which is rich with combos and subforms, it doesn't take much to put the application over some arbitrary resource limit.  If I do a ?Forms("frmName").Controls.Count in the immediate window, it returns 550, many of which are subforms which have their own cumulative hundreds of controls.  What I can do is close a few things and the error goes away.  I am not limited by memory or processor as these are not stressed at all when I encounter this error.  I also know that I'm not bumping into any video resource limitations as it makes no difference whether I'm working on a multi 4K Monitor development environment or whether I dial that down to 1024 by 768 on a single screen in the environment.

Access 2003 did not cause me this problem, but then again, there have been subsequent changes in the environment that could bear on the issue.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz

Edmonton, Alberta