[AccessD] Visual Basic 2012 - Simple Gauge Tool

Dan Waters df.waters at outlook.com
Fri Mar 20 08:18:09 CDT 2015

Hi Paul,

This is a possibility:
https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/8c83d3c2-40be-476a-827e-40f65
aac23bb

Another approach might be to just set up a horizontal bar with a length
that's proportional to the value you want to display.  For example, you can
have a dark gray rectangle (use a panel) that's 20 pixels high and 200
pixels long.  Within that can be another rectangle (light green?) that's 10
pixels high and has a variable width where 100 pixels is = 50% of the value,
and your code changes its width according to whatever the value is.  The
inner rectangle should be aligned left with the outer rectangle.  You can
also show the value number over the bar so the user sees the exact value.
If you want to get cool - show the inner rectangle getting larger or smaller
for a fraction of a second after the user enters the values.  You could also
change the inner bar's color if you reach certain thresholds (i.e., too high
or too low).

For your example, I would create a background rectangle high enough to
accommodate two inner rectangles (one for current and one for new gross
margins), where the two inner rectangles are of different colors.  With one
bar above the other, this gives the user a quick visual comparison of the
two values, along with having the numeric values displayed.

Round gauges can be impressive the first time they're seen.  But in
practice, they take up a lot of space, aren't really quick to read, don't
allow for quick comparisons, and you have to find them and learn to use
them.  I really wish I could change the dashboard in my car!!

HTH!
Dan