[AccessD] SQL Formatter (Was How To Display an Image from a Pervasive Database table Via Access 2007)

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Mon May 11 15:58:41 CDT 2015

I use http://poorsql.com/
It does a great job of parsing the text into something much more comprehensible.

I've been using Pervasive data since Sage bought out Precision Estimating (Timberline).  Sage's most recent foray into SQL server with their construction estimating product has us running two systems; Pervasive for the estimators and SQL Server for the project managers.  Their conversion to SQL Server was a total flop.  The whole system started out as text file fields limited to 50 characters concatenated a fixed number of times to a maximum field length.  This rule was simply carried over to the Pervasive and then SQL Server versions.  The result is unweildy in production.

Pervasive itself was pretty slick and pulled data out of data stored in the file system.  There was a root file with metadata about the data files, a sub folder named 'PVData' and roughly 60 files beneath that approximately mapping to a table each.  The fun was copying estimate files and renaming the estimate without renaming the PVData folders to match.  It was not possible to mine data across multiple estimates without linking to multiple estimate backends (1 per estimate) or sequentially linking, extracting and compiling data in a aggregation database, but within a single estimate, it at least worked consistently and very quickly.

In all our time with Pervasive, we've never had image data stored there so I can help on that issue.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta