[AccessD] A2003: Checking for Similar Names and or Addresses

Darren darren at activebilling.com.au
Wed May 13 22:47:12 CDT 2015

Hi Team
I appreciate this may trigger a right vs. wrong discussion. All comments
appreciated but this is for a Pro-Bono Project so there are no funds and my
time is not infinite.
So a perfect solution is not required. Just a working one :-)
So...
I have inherited a dB with approx 12K names and addresses for a community
project I am working on.
Data entry has been on home built Access dBs and Excel spreadsheets and data
veracity is poor.
I can easily identify nearly 1000 records with same first and last names so
there appear to be a lot of duplicate entries.
We will handle that and will sanitise the old data. However does anyone have
a quick and easy "test" where I can quickly check completed names (First and
Last) once entered, to see if we have exact or similar matches already in
the dB?
I really would like the same thing with addresses?
I have Googled and I have seen some very complex weighting routines etc -
Too tricky for me and beyond the scope of this project (and my skill set).
I just need to present the users with a list of exact matches (I can do that
now) and some potentials, in a list that they can then decide if it's ok to
proceed or not.
Many thanks in advance.
Darren.