[AccessD] OT Friday Special: Elon Musk

Jim Hale jim at therareshop.com
Sat Oct 3 09:55:00 CDT 2015

Meanwhile back on earth Tesla is losing altitude.

Jim H

Tesla Doesn't Have Much Breathing Room

What Tesla didn't say during its Model X unveiling was most important for
investors

ByCharley Grant Updated Sept. 30, 2015 5:46 p.m. ET 24 COMMENTS

WSJ | 2015-09-30T21:46:00.000Z

Tesla Motors' new Model X Signature crossover vehicle will protect its
passengers from biological warfare. That's great, so long as you don't roll
down the window.

And investors might be concerned with some more prosaic risks surrounding
the rollout of the Model X.

Tesla unveiled a higher-end version of the Model X which costs $132,000, and
delivered a handful of cars on Tuesday evening. Among the unique features on
the car is a HEPA air filter.

But it was what Tesla didn't say that might be of more interest to
investors. Namely, it didn't give details about the base price of the Model
X. Nor did Tesla give an update on when the Model X will be in full
production. It was originally slated to roll out in 2013.

This information is important because Tesla is counting on strong Model X
sales to reach its guidance of 50,000 to 55,000 vehicle deliveries in 2015.

Tesla already has lowered this guidance once. Any further reductions could
cast doubt on the company's ability to achieve scale. Tesla warned in August
that a "one-week pushout of this ramp due to an issue at even a single
supplier could reduce Model X production by approximately 800 units for the
quarter."

For a big car maker, such a small miss wouldn't matter that much. But Tesla,
and more importantly its stock, it will. The shares have so far this year
outperformed the S&P 500 by about 18 percentage points and it trades at
about 150 times forward earnings.

In that sort of rarefied atmosphere, even a small miss could leave investors
gasping