[AccessD] mailto: in excel export of email address

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Fri Sep 4 00:25:18 CDT 2015

Yes... The apostrophe text control is a legacy going back to Lotus 123 days.

The original Lotus label prefixes to control text alignment were:

                    ' APOSTROPHE        		Left-aligned
                    ^ CARET             		Centered
                    " DOUBLE QUOTE      	Right-aligned
                    \ BACKLASH          		Repeating

So if you wanted something to be centred you would enter  ^MyValueHere.  This is back in the days before toolbars and it was all text based controls.

Over the years only the ' survived in Excel and it is used to force the Excel to treat the cell value as a string (or Text in Excel parlance) rather than aligning (although being a string is usually default left aligns regardless.  It is important to be able to do this as Excel will convert anything that looks like a number into a value if it can, and that process is irreversible.  This is a huge problem for things like

 - Anything with a leading zero
 - Anything that looks like a scientific number (Hotel / meeting rooms and part numbers are particularly problematic here)
 - Any number > than 15 characters, so all credit card values for example.

For example, if your room or part number is 12E3 then Excel will convert that to 12,000 for you.  Bloody useless if you really did mean "12E3"

Or lots of part numbers have leading zero which are material to the result.  So you really need 000013120 to read that, not 13120.

Anyway, Hopefully that will shine some light onto the history and necessity of the apostrophe ' in Excel.

Cheers
Darryl