[AccessD] Can't get to the DBA website - Treeview

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 8 13:33:00 CDT 2016

Actually it is a little more complex than that.

For years, websites could use the local "include" statement to assemble a website. This was great as a web page could be put together with but a few calls to an included library of code. It was great for allowing pages, with headers, footers, menu etc to be generated with no extra code. At one point, for security reasons, all client side include statements were blocked/banned as a "re-direction" security risk.

>From then on, only a server side "include" statement were allowed. This change also effectively meant that webpages could only run with server backends. Our DBA website was/is originally built using ASP classic to manage the include statements. Note: All server languages have methods for handling "include" statements. The obvious heir apparent for this ancient ASP classic code is ASP.Net but as the .Net language only ran on a Windows server and to be honest, it would be very expensive as, on the internet, Windows servers are rare, have definite limits to how many sequential users and ASP.Net is legendary, for lots of over-head and therefore for it slow performance. Linux servers OTOH, are very fast and very inexpensive.

We actually have had two servers that are running DBA's requirements. One; a Linux server which manages all our mail, which incidentally supports both Python and PHP and two; a Windows server which supports the DBA site and that is because of the ASP code/includes and extensions.

One of the plans is to run the site on top of PHP (which has been fully tested; see our DBA sites current location for proof of concept or Python but that has not been tested yet) which can be abstracted to fool the DBA ASP web code. This would eliminate the need for two web server as all our requirements would be assembled on a single site...our current mail and web site. At that time serious website redesign could be started.

The previous is actually an abridged version and if you want the gory details and further plans, just ask and I will explain it off line.

HTH
Jim