[AccessD] Dell 5348 SSD upgrade

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 14 00:11:00 CDT 2016

Ataboy Alan.

Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: aclawhon at hiwaay.net
To: "Access Developers discussion and problem solving" <accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2016 9:48:33 PM
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Dell 5348 SSD upgrade

John:

Are OEM manufacturers phasing out traditional spinning hard disk
drives in favor of SSDs - or are they offering SSDs as an "option" if
you don't mind paying the extra cost?  How long do you think it will
be before spinning drives are totally replaced in favor of SSDs?

I'm thinking about buying a new laptop sometime in the next two years.
  Rather than going with Windows, I'm seriously considering a machine
with a Linux distribution pre-installed.  There are several [smallish]
companies specializing in preconfigured Linux boxes.  I'm reading up
on (and getting "smart") on Linux, so by the time I'm ready to buy I
should know enough to be able to keep my head above water.  With
Windows 10 becoming increasingly obtrusive, I have a feeling Linux
[desktop] systems will grow in popularity.  I know the Linux and open
source folks have been predicting this for the last 20 years, but I
think it's really going to happen.  I sense that people are gradually
getting fed up with Windows.  (I certainly am ...)

Besides, it will be fun getting back to doing things from the command
line.  (Ha! Ha!)

No-Longer-In-Love-With-Windows Alan of Huntsville