[AccessD] Problems with Page Breaks – Access 2013

Brad Marks bradm at blackforestltd.com
Thu Aug 25 16:48:49 CDT 2016

All,

I am working on a key report called the “Work Order Traveler” which contains the manufacturing specifications for items that we make.

One Traveler is printed for each sales order.  Each Traveler is typically 2-5 pages long.  Many Travelers are created each day.

There is a need to start a new page for each “Parent Item” on the Sales Order.

I am running into a strange problem with Page Breaks.  When I insert the Access Page Break indicator in the report, an extra unwanted page is always created.  This is not good as we have page numbers at the bottom of the Traveler such as “Page 1 of 3”.  We simply cannot throw away the extra page at the end as this would cause confusion for our workers.

In order to debug this problem, I built a very simple Access application.

This little application has one table with one field called “PageBreakNumber” with these values; 10,10,20.

There is one query that obtains this single field and one report that simply displays this single field from the query.

There is a “Group” on the PageBreakNumber field and an Access “Page Break” in the PageBreakNumber Footer.  These is no header.

When I do a “Print Preview” of the report, I see the Page Break when the PageBreakNumber changes from 10 to 20.  So far, so good.  However, instead of generating just two pages as expected, a third page is generated.  This third page does not have any “detail” data.  It does have a Page Header and a Page footer, however.

I have tried many things but I simply cannot find a way to prevent this extra page from being generated.

I have not worked with Page Breaks very much.  Perhaps I am missing something.

I could easily e-mail my Test application if anyone would like to look at it.

Thanks,
Brad