[AccessD] FW: Office 365

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 04:09:17 CDT 2016

Well first - you don't get a choice of the 2016 apps installed -
They will replace 2013 - and be installed alongside 2010

Using Outlook - well your email store (etc) will be updated to 2016
And - most of your links (from email and links in web pages) will also be 2016'd
- most, not all, so expect the occasional link (such as form filling - to report
things )

So - backup your .pst and .ost files
----------------

Onedrive (OK not strictly 365 - but there is a major uplift to 365 storage as
part of the 365 facility)

You get 1TB of space to use -
Well on my 100Mb/s link I managed to upload (Drag'n'Drop) under 3GB in a day
Was to have been 3GB of files from a documentation folder - but some of the
files didn’t get "MOVE'd"
              (OK COPY - but Onedrive says MOVE)

There is a 'pending' and 'what-happened- window - but it's not scrollable -
so you cannot see the ends of filenames,
or more than the first 7? Entries -                           and that's on a
1920x1080 screen

Also - you cannot get a computer manageable list of what is on the Onedrive, and
drag-n-drop only does files - not folders -
so you cannot just drag a folder of stuff - e.g. .htm pages won't have the
linked folder of images taken over -

There is no quota, so sharing a folder in editable mode means that all your
space can be used up -
                  and see the terms for what happens if you fill up the storage
allocation.
                   Also if you don't actively use the account for a while!

Also sync is a pain - and if you 'sync' to a shared folder the sync can take
ages to allow you to start working.

So - Using 365 is not an easy way into SAFE cloud usage.

Also - only the basic filetypes and formats of those types can be processed by
the online 365 apps - NO you cannot check a csv file.
And macros are NOT allowed - so that's anything with VBA  'automation' out of
the picture - .com addins - maybe - but is your automation written and setup as
a .com or .dll
Also outlook.com -  well surely your ISP provides a passable online email
facility
I haven't managed to get mail, or outlook.com to work - and sync of accounts -
probably only the last 30 days stuff.

------------------

Now - for some recent fun! - note the end of the story...

I got a banneracross the middle of the screen - blue pop-up type,
and it blocked all other access to the system - no id on the message which
stated
"Terms are changing" - with 2 selection boxes - "Learn More" and "Dismiss"
          Wallswitch - and then malware check -            nothing.

Restarted the system - started task-manager and then went back to what I had
been doing.
This time I did not have the weather app in fullscreen mode when the pop-up
popped up again, and could do other things
Yes - it seems to be triggered by the start panel "weather app" ?
So - with it onscreen, but a system that was functioning
I Contacted the MS chat line - well I have something on the system that has got
past windows 10 malware checks - Firewall and Defender and is not showing in
TaskManager!

My question to the techy      -                is this from Microsoft (inbedded
in the OS, windows-update or an App             or is it a MALWARE carrier that
got past MS security?

The tech's response - don't know, you'd need paid support for me to run a
facility to find out -

You should just                                                        CLICK ON
DISMISS  -

Er Yes - so Microsoft advice is
                                                      If you don't know who a
pop-up is from - just click on it!

My further investigation - that unowned pop-up links to a Microsoft page telling
me that the terms of my use of Microsoft products has changed as of the 2nd
August
And I got this unidentified hidden? Link to it on the 23rd August ..

                              Among the things with changing TERMS is Onedrive !

-----------------

OK - the reason I went to 365 -

I have to have 2106 to match clients systems ( going from Win-7 2007/2010
environments to win-10 and current Office versions).
And - now also 365 -                          so I need  to see what they can,
and CANNOT do, and find ways past the glitches and changes .

365 family seemed - even as an annual cost, with just £10 a year extra to be
more cost effective as a family (5 user, 15 devices) facility.

Personal use - the Cloud facilities of Onedrive - multi-device and user sharing,
remote access? Backup storage!
For work use - 365 means your 2016 gets updated with the latest goodies   (see
all the Excel improvements) that the 365 based clients will be getting.

JimB