[AccessD] VBA 7 32/64 calls

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Wed Feb 10 12:25:21 CST 2016

 Interesting....it's a link to EE.  Didn't want to take the time re-post it
all here, but I guess I will:

<<I have created an mdb file, put alot of work into it and now when I put
iton to a 64bit PC I ma getting the following error:
Any quick ways of getting around this without writing all my code again. >>

<<It's not that you put it on a 64 bit PC, it's that you are running it with
a 64 bit edition of Office.

The quick simple way, dpending on the client is to install 32 bit Office
instead of 64 bit.  Then no changes are required.   Even Microsoft still
recommends this.  Only thing 64 bit Office gains you is extremely large
spreadsheets in Excel.

 Beyond that, it may or may not be easy.   You can try adding the PtrSafe
attribute to all your API calls and that might be enough.   Depending on the
calls however, some may need to be modified.

 Last, if you don't want to maintain two versions of the app, then you'll
need to add compiler directives for the different calls.>>

<<BTW, here is some helpful info:

This will help you determine what might need to be changed:

Microsoft Office Code Compatibility Inspector user's guide
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee833946.aspx

also read:

 Compatibility Between the 32-bit and 64-bit Versions of Office 2010
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee691831(office.14).aspx

and the section "Introducing the VBA 7 Code Base" for the general overview.

All the new 64 bit calls are here:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/confirmation.aspx?displaylang=en&id=997
0

a list of all the calls that were modified for 64 bit:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa383663(VS.85).aspx>>

Jim.