[AccessD] Curious Import Problem

Heenan, Lambert Lambert.Heenan at aig.com
Thu Jul 14 08:15:11 CDT 2016

Jim, John and Guss:

Thanks for your interest.

No, there appears to be absolutely nothing different in the data for the rows not loaded. The source file is a CSV file coming out of COGNOS. Don't know why the system insists on calling it "CSV", because the data is Tab delimited, not Comma Separated. The text is not quoted in any way and it is perfectly normal for some columns to be null.

Each line is terminated with just a Line Feed character, ASCII code 10. The only thing I do to the file before importing it is to remove CR/LF pairs from a freeform text field - changing them to spaces.

Row order is not important. I always assume that the order of rows in a table is undefined.

So it's still a mystery, although linking to the text file instead of importing it is an efficient workaround. Saves on file bloat too.

Lambert