[AccessD] Back End On Linux

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 17 02:36:02 CDT 2016

Thanks for the answer...

Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Dettman" <jimdettman at verizon.net>
To: "Access Developers discussion and problem solving" <accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2016 4:00:01 AM
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Back End On Linux

The current license does not (I checked).  It currently reads "physical or virtual capable of running the software".   But in the past, it specifically stated that it must run under a Windows OS on a physical computer, which excluded emulation on a Linux.   Of course everyone ignored that, but it was done against the license terms at the time.

As far as the extended byte locking, that still holds true.  I haven't run into a NAS in a number of years that had an issue and have no clue where Linuex stands, but any time a non-Windows system is used, it's something to be aware of.    Even though it's just a BE and MSACCESS.EXE is running else where, the OS hosting the BE is not totally passive. It must be capable of taking out locks on parts of a file that don't exist and it needs to be able to handle a lot of them. The default is still 9500, which is a throwback to the Novell days, but now it's not unusual to find the limit set to 100,000 or more.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone