[AccessD] Access as web front end

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri Mar 11 08:40:47 CST 2016

Susan,

 There's a lot of confusion in this area, in no small part to Microsoft
going in different directions and calling everything by almost the same
name.

In terms of running Access as a Web App:

1. "Web databases" - Found in A2007/A2010 - Publishes to SharePoint, Access
Services in SharePoint required.  Uses SharePoint lists to store data - very
inefficient.   Somewhat like desktop apps (you can use the same DB both on
the desktop and in SharePoint), but no VBA allowed.

2. "Web Apps" - Found in A2013/A2016 - Publishes to SharePoint, Access
Services in SharePoint required.  Uses Azure DB to store data if on-line,
SQL 2012 if on premise.   Nothing like desktop app (cannot use a web app on
the desktop). Again no VBA allowed.  Still very limited.  Basic CRUD
operations is about it.

 Good overview of what you can do with it is here:

 https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj250134.aspx

 What's better about this though is that you can point a traditional Access
Desktop app to the same data store, so you can now have multiple front ends
for your app.

Web DB's/Web Apps aside, the other options for running a desktop DB on the
web "as is" are:

1. Use terminal services, possibly in conjunction with Citrix.  Use your
desktop DB more or less as is and everyone remotes into the TS server.  That
can be in the form of an icon on their desktop, which they click and the app
appears just like any other.

2. Use www.eqldata.com.

  This is a subscription service.  What they do is two-way replication with
your app through a plug-in.  They host the web side and you keep the desktop
side.  OK for a few remote users, but could get pricey if many.   Saves you
from running a TS server though.

HTH,
Jim.