[AccessD] Office 365 vs. Office Desktop

Mark Simms marksimms at verizon.net
Tue May 24 18:18:35 CDT 2016

My client decided to go with a $20 per month per seat licensing option by
Microsoft that permits BOTH Office 365 and Office 2016 Desktop
licenses.....with multiple installs allowed for each user (home, office,
laptop, etc).
I was surprised to see how flexible AND aggressive the Office licensing fee
has become !!!
(Of course, it changes practically EVERY YEAR)

So for $2,400 per year for 10 users, that is a pretty good deal, no ? This
is relative to the $170,000 per year fees for a comparable cloud-based
service.

My job in the upgrade is to insure that all DLL library calls are made to be
64 bit compatible.
And there are a TON of them. One of the modules supports a complex,
custom-made FTP function by which the client can download their client's
account information daily.
I am likely to build this out by checking the WIN64 compiler variable so
that it is backwards compatible with the 32bit calls. VBA7=True is now a
"given".

In addition, there are complex Ribbon libraries which must be tested in the
new release.
That scares me the most.....as I discovered the Callbacks from the Ribbon
were buggy upon initialization.