[AccessD] Mixed Office and the packageer

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri May 27 12:08:11 CDT 2016

Rocky,

  Not sure of your client base, but keep in mind that A2013 dropped DBF
support. A2010 was the last "full" desktop version as A2013 dropped a number
of features besides the DBF.

  As far as I know Sage Key is still the only thing that will still give you
a truly isolated install.

  You don't need to convert to .accdb format unless you plan to use some of
the new features (multi-value fields, attachment data type, etc).  You
should however make sure your in JET 4.0 format.  Note that if you do switch
to the .accdb format, you loose workgroup security as well.

<<And what other problems are going to accrue to this move that I don't know
enough to ask?>>

1. Make sure you stay with 32 bit, and on that note I don't know that Sage
ever licked the 32/64 bit problem.   Within a Office rev, you can't mix and
match 32 and 64 bit.  It all has to be one or the other (ie. Excel 2010 64
bit and Access 2010 32 bit).   Also noted in the past couple of days on the
list that Office 2016 has some issues with older versions.

2. A2010 is the last version where you can live without the ribbon and use
your own custom bars, but there are add-ins for 2010 and 2013 to get back
some of the old menus.  Have never used any, so no input on that.

3. make sure your always in a compiled state.  A2010 and up tightened up on
syntax checking.  Some things could be gotten away with in the past, but not
now.  It was odd-ball stuff, but you may trip over it.

Jim.