[AccessD] Speed Issues on network just with Access App

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 7 10:26:35 CST 2016

Darryl, (and anybody else interested)

Re slowdown in win-10

I noted that:
Soon after win-10 came to our PC's the win-7 update process got very slow
And - for PC's with less than 1GB memory the update went from a few minutes -
maybe up to 30 for a check of what to get, to several hours, maybe a day.
That can be helped by turning off ALL concurrently running processes - including
performance monitor, and anti-virus checking.
The new update process seemed to want to read all of the files on the OS
partition.

I used the profile facility in 10-pro to set it to ask about updates - and when
that constraint seemed to get turned off by a fix, turned it back on.
I was told that the anniversary version would remove the profile facility - but,
while I may not be able to set it anymore ( haven't tried) it still seems to be
asking about fixes

Problem seems to be that while earlier versions of Defender went and got the
updates themselves, and then windows update could be invoked for the rest of the
fixes,
The constraint setting seems to also stop defender automatically getting the
latest definitions, and it needs prompting.
Then - you have to wait for that to finish the update (using the update engine)
before you can get Windows Update to try to use the update engine

So - win-7 - I download the fix sets and do an offline update - (most restarts
are without asking for confirmation - most user interaction seems to be -
"accept the licence for the new version" a much faster process than having to
use the MS process to access and download individual fixes.
Could be that a large proportion of the "got that block, next block please
requests" from the PC are timing out and having to be re-sent again, and again
and..
So keeping the PC busy waiting for data and timeouts rather than actual data
processing.

But - them's just my guesses based on what I have managed to get details of, and
work out!

JimB