[AccessD] Error help with upgrade from A03 to A13

John R Bartow jbartow at winhaven.net
Fri Nov 25 12:55:15 CST 2016

Thanks all,
This app was written in 1999 and I didn't utilize custom properties back
then. I used a hidden sys_table to hold all of the application's custom
(AppName, AppVersion, AppIcon) and licensing information (Developers Contact
Information, LicensedOwner, LicensedOwners Logo, Licensed Owner's contact
info, License Agreement, etc.). The kind of things that were mostly put in
text files back then and didn't "travel well" when people "shared" your
custom apps. Which was happening to me then. So I implemented this method
and utilized the licensing info in the UI and Reports so if someone got the
app without paying they'd at least have suffer through seeing this
information on their screens and reports. Given that much of what I was
doing was for government offices, that helped. :-)
Any time one of those values was needed I used a lookup function like
DLookup to get it, which worked but was not real efficient. Because the
database properties would be consistent for all users on the PC, as it is
installed as a common program, these are the items that I thought could be
changed to be custom properties. These items are all static and are only
changed upon a new distribution.

Question 1 - Does that make correct to you?

And then there are the 3 global variables.
Global gfDymoInstalled As Boolean
A function call checked to see if the user had a Dymo label printer
installed and set this value. It is basically used to show/hide anything in
the UI related to using a Dymo Label Printer. 'OLE objects to communicate
with DLS
Global gobjDymoAddIn As Object
Global gobjDymoLabels As Object
These hold Dymo OLE objects which were loaded by the same function that
checked to make sure a Dymo Label Printer was installed when true.

Question 2 - Does it really make sense to make these a custom property? I'd
have to check every time the app opens to make sure they still exist anyway,
so it sounds like tempvars would be more appropriate.

Question 3 - And I'm not sure why but I'm just a bit leery of holding an OLE
Object as a custom property. Is there a valid reason to be leery of that?

Question 4 - Does Access hold global variables/tempvar separately for each
user session on the same PC? For instance: I have offices with VDI devices
which allow multiple users to concurrently utilize one PC. If I have 2+ user
sessions using the same Access Application mdb do they share any variables
or just the custom properties?

John B