[AccessD] Basic Question (Probably) that I just don't know

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Sep 24 06:38:11 CDT 2016

I agree it's not a good alternative for multi user systems, but SQLite is an excellent solution
for  single user applications.  There are reasons why it is so ubiquitous.

It's free.  :)

The same database file is usable on many platforms including Windows, Linux,Android and
iOS.

It's fast, lightweight and versatile.

For Windows, it's just one native 500KB DLL and no dependencies.

While it doesn't have a huge range of dataypes, there's not much that you can't do with a 8
bytes integers and floats (twice the size that Access offers) and  a default maximum size for
text  of 1 billion characters (try indexinga field of  more than 255 characters in Access), and
the same size of BLOBs.  There are plenty of built in functions for Date manipulation that
make the use of a dedicated Date/Time datatypes unnecessary  including UnixTime (which is
a real PITA to handle in Access).

You're right that many (including me) use it because we "don't know any better".  That's
because in its niche, there is no better.

:)