[AccessD] OT: Excel (was: Friday easy reading)

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Aug 12 03:30:48 CDT 2017

Hi Darryl

Thanks for the tip. I had forgotten about the Excel-L list because I normally stay off Excel, but for this project the client insisted.

A major challenge was, that it should operate in Excel Online (of Office 365), thus no VBA could be used; everything had to be formulas.
I soon realised that this would be impossible to maintain in a traditional fashion, so I use VBA to create the entire workbook and worksheets from scratch including all formatting and formulas.

You soon meet two challenges.

First, most code you can look up is - as you probably know - is "half-baked" and mostly user oriented using ActiveSheet and Selection, and the documentation lacks often examples, so you are much on your own.

Second, the very bad thing about the formulas is that, when reaching some complexity, they tend to be write-only (a label I have seen put on Perl as well). Further, editing is limited to edit one formula by the time in a small textbox. This means that you need some kind of "generator" to create and maintain such formulas to give you the option to explain and adjust what is going on.

On top of this, formulas in the user interface are localised, turning debugging into a nightmare.

Thus, where the formulas were intended to be easy and/or simple, you end up having the formulas as a write-only low-level language which only can be maintained using a higher-level language.
The opposite world.

/gustav