[AccessD] 64-but ONLY front end ?

Ryan Wehler wrwehler at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 21:39:17 CST 2017

Hello Listers!

Has anyone migrated their app to 64 bit only?

I've recently started migrating from Office 2003 to Office 2013 (what we have licensed). I've been testing and upgrading and learning about ribbons and finding code that doesn't work well under 2013 that worked previously.

The one problem I'm consistently running into is if I have more than a couple forms open I start getting "Resource Limit Exceeded" messages. From what I gather, this is usually the 32 bit Virtual Memory limit (2GB) running 32 bit applications on a 64 bit operating system.

If I run Access 2013 64 bit (In a virtual machine) I can open as many tabs as my heart desires (I opened so many forms up in my app that my tab bar had scroll arrows!) and not a peep about resource problems.

I did some of the stuff suggested out on the web like make sure objects get closed and set to 'nothing' when they aren't needed (which there weren't many places that wasn't happening anyway)... and even tried running msaccess.exe in XP compatibility mode (which was what someone suggested to get around this).

Access 2013 is fully patched and I've tried a number of hot fixes and registry tweaks posted by both MS and other users on the web to no avail as well.

None of that's worked... so I'm debating moving my users in house (the only place I have to support) to 64 bit Office or Access runtime where applicable. I've already modified all my API calls to to be PtrSafe and kept some compiler constant if/then/else statements in place in case I *HAVE* to run 32 bit somewhere (but then I'll need a way to compile the 32 bit accde file... *sigh*)

In short / TL;DR: Has anyone moved exclusively to 64 bit and what problems did you face and are you happy overall with doing so?