[AccessD] How do YOU handle child table population?

Ryan W wrwehler at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 14:23:23 CDT 2017

As you all know, if you have a table that's a child of another, meaning
there's a PK/FK relationship between them, Access won't populate the child
table with data until a piece of information is entered (a checkbox
checked, a combo box filled out, etc) if it's got a form related to it.

Example:

frm_Quote is my quotes form.
frm_QuoteChecklist is the subform on a tab control within that quote form.

Tables:
QuoteChecklist

Quote - QuoteID PK
QuoteChecklist - QuoteID FK

My manager has asked me to "fill in defaults" for QuoteChecklist once a
quote has been inserted.  Normally one might use the "default value" option
in the table layout, in this case SQL Server.

BUT... those defaults still don't actually populate/do anything until
something on frm_QuoteChecklist is manipulated, right?

So.. my question to you is how would YOU handle this??  My initial thought
is to have a insert trigger on the Quote table to insert the QuoteID_FK
into the QuoteChecklist table so that the defaults can populate and the
relationship happen.