[AccessD] AI

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 16:23:45 CST 2017

It does not necessarily cover a really, really long time if time stops. But
that's just one of the many possibilities that could happen with Time. To
assume something which had a start will necessarily not have an end is a
pretty big leap of faith. I would be happy to amend my statement to say not
in your lifetime and long past the lifetimes of anyone who will remember
you as well.

Anyway, it was not so much a statement about how much time it would take,
but a statement about the way computers are currently built, and how they
will be built for the readily foreseeable future. Under current
architectural principals, which involve mechanical instruments and energy
sources, as opposed to bio-engineered components (and if you are going to
call bio-engineered computers "architecture" then you may as well say that
human beings are already "computers", just not very sophisticated ones),
there can be no singularity. WE may not be able to distinguish computers of
the future from sentient and conscious beings, but those fabricated
entities will never "know" they are computers, they will only be able to
continue to run routines which they were programmed to run, and not "know"
they are running anything. And I guess by "know", I mean feel.

What makes humans meta machinery is that we have (notionally anyway) an
existence outside of our bodies. Has this been proven? It depends on who
you ask. But I think it is a pretty safe bet that any computer, no matter
how advanced, once there is no longer a power source to keep it running,
will immediately stop thinking. I think this becomes particularly important
for those considering to eventually upload their consciousnesses into some
kind of mechanical housing way off in the future, in an effort to live
forever. In my view while they may succeed in creating cloned mechanical
replications of their "beings", those beings will not really be "beings",
rather they will be "its", and they will be able to interact with their own
like (and if we are still around, the likes of us) but not ever deserve the
right to vote.

<IMHO>