[AccessD] A rare experience

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Sep 4 13:12:21 CDT 2017

I am trying, on my 2GB memory system to run 64 bit Windows-10 Pro Office 2016 ( mostly word Excel & Outlook) and currently trying to upload a backup set ( 4GB files) and thousands of ebooks
So that I have offsite recovery and can easily share the ebooks

So - far Wiindows Update seems to need at least 1GB of RAM to itself
IE11 needs over 8GB of 'memory' for the 2 threads it runs for Onedrive upload - and seems to make the system unstable - even after the IE session has been terminated
An IE based Onedrive session will cope with with a 6000 fileset to UPLOAD
( OK - just - any other activity can set the IE's arguing about what is in RAM from the  pagefile to the extent that several hours can be needed to upload 100MB)
EDGE just dies

So - current spec for being able to use Onedrive  using the 2GB memory, I seem to  need at least 10GB of Pagefile.

Seems to me from the quality of the user interface, and software reliability that, not only is MS now employing school leavers in their summer break, but is letting them do that development on systems that have 8GB of RAM, and probably 4 core CPU's.

That assessment of the MS practices is substantially based on my experiences trying to use the Onedrive apps and associated Office environment software
To me,  with 50 years in IT, and 10 in UAT 0- the Onedrive apps for win-10
Should have failed at design stage for systems interaction and user interface
Failed at the program/module design stage for the design structure and systems interaction
Failed at the program test for the unuasability of the interface and poor as well as frequently incorrect status reports
Failed at the UAT stage for all the above as well as such practices as reporting unable to add to the designated folder after 16 hours
Not showing the filenames that were uploaded - so no easy way to re-specify upload of the files not uploaded, and not reported as not being uploaded
Reporting 'Moved nnnn files' when it may have actuallty moved up-to 200 files

The list of FAILS from  a UAT  interface viewpoint would indicate that there was actually no effective UAT

So - the majority of those wanting to use Windows and the newer releases of the Microsoft software will have to buy new hardware.

JimB