[AccessD] Suppress error message dialog

Dan Waters df.waters at outlook.com
Mon Apr 23 09:44:47 CDT 2018

Hi Ryan,

 I wouldn't see this is as primarily a technology issue for you to solve.  It sounds like they have a different belief in what their process is than you are aware of.  I'd get together with a few of the experienced users to find out what's going on?

It might be that they know that they can use a non-active object on your form because it will soon be active?  Just a guess...  If what they are doing turns out to be OK then perhaps you could add a 'Clone' button next to the previous records so they don't need to copy/paste.

If you and your users are working in the same company then you should raise this issue with your management and theirs.  This is not to give them grief, but just so that everyone knows that this issue is happening.  You can describe the consequences of taking these actions and then they can decide if they want to continue on this way or if they want to 'obey' your validation warnings.  Put the problem on their back instead of yours.

If you are working for a client it's about the same thing - but you'll need to be more formal by writing up a document of what's happening and what the consequences are.  Let your contact person know that you are going to send this to him or her so they can decide how to proceed.

For the technical solution it seems like you are presenting a form in table view which allows them so paste in a record (I've just never done that).  You could change the form to form view with all individual fields which then have all the correct validation code.  More work for them but then they probably can't get around the validation.

Good Luck!
Dan