[AccessD] Clean Shut Down of Access When Left Open in RDP

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 01:35:08 CDT 2018

Why do we always have to "switch" from Access to another platform just to
get *reasonable* robustness?

This problem is well documented and there no known solution except less
than perfect mechanisms like Chris Symonds or Alvin Meyer KickThemOff
solutions, which still are not fool proof, from my viewpoint.

Why doesn't MS implement a fix to a problem that has existed for 10 plus
years despite many requests for a fix?

Fortunately in my corporate environment, the backend is always SQL Server
or Sharepoint. A purely Access backend on a multi user platform is just
asking for trouble.

In the interim, I would initiate a timer on the got focus of every control
on every form that closes all forms and exits the database if a certain
period of inactivity is reached. 30 minutes is usually adequate. No message
to the user, but a scrape of data can be sent to the user in an email
telling them which form (s) were open, what field data existed at time of
forced exit, and a request to be more responsibe in future. Don't display a
"Database will close in XX minutes" messagebox, that will hang the system
awaiting their response... but you can pop a dialog form on a timer, with a
label and a cancel button. When the timer on that form reaches its preset
interval, the form closes and commences database exit routines. If their
data isn't saved, too bad.

This has to be one of the most frustrating things in all of Access.